The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Please be sure you understand copyright and fair use law before using materials for publication, etc.
The Center of Southwest Studies reserves the right to limit the number of images digitized; to restrict the use or reproduction of rare, valuable, or fragile items; to ensure that the use of the reproductions is in good taste; to make special quotations on items involving unusual difficulty in copying; and to charge a higher cost than specified for reproduction of a small number of special items. The Center reserves the right to require a proof for approval before publication.
The Center of Southwest Studies gives no exclusive rights for the use of its materials. Permission is granted for a one-time use only. Any subsequent use of an image requires the written permission of the Center and the payment of additional fees.
The Center requires that the user agrees:
- to use the specified images only once and then only for the purpose stated, and
- to offer the Center a master TIFF digital file of any image(s) digitized, and
- to credit each individual reproduction this format: identification of item, name of collection, Center of Southwest Studies, Fort Lewis College, and
- to make advance payment to the Center of any use fees, and
- not to use or authorize others to use the image for any purpose differing from the specific use stated without written permission from the Center of Southwest Studies, and
- to provide the Center, at the Center's request, a complimentary copy of any publication or production using a Center image(s).